top of page

The Hongkong Telegraph.


Monday, December 18, 1922.
香港英十弍月十八號 禮拜壹

No 12,570
Page 7


For Scouts and Guides.

   There was a muster of Hongkong Boys Scouts on the grounds of Government House on Saturday afternoon, when His Excellency the Governor (Sir R. E. Stubbs, K.C.M.G.) made several presentations, the troops represented being St. Joseph's, St. Andrew's, First Wanchai, Murray, Rovering Fifth, Ellis Kadoorie, Saiyingpun and Wesleyan. The troops were in charge of the Scouts Commissioner, the Rev. Waldegrave.
   The first presentation, which was in the form of a banner with the fleur de lis, was made to the Hongkong Boys Scouts' Association for competition purposes. The banner was made of a vermillion silk panel taken from the chair, which was used to convey His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales after he had landed on Blake Pier.
   Addressing the Scouts, His Excellency said he was glad to hear from the Commissioner that the movement, to which he attached much importance, was doing well in the Colony. He had asked them to assemble for the purpose of making several presentations. The first was the banner which most of them might have seen before in a different shape, because it was one of the panels of the Prince of Wales' chair when he visited Hongkong this year. His Excellency said it seemed a pity not to make use of this fine piece of work, and it struck him that they might obtain a souvenir of H.R.H.'s visit by making it into a banner. He accordingly suggested to His Royal Highness that the two panels be converted into banners, one for the Boys Scouts and the other for the Girls Guides. His Royal Highness also gave his gracious approval to the designation the Prince of Wales Banner. It was a gift from His Royal Highness. The conditions of competition, by which it was to be won, had already been published and need not be referred to, but he would like to mention that the main idea throughout was to encourage general efficiency in the troop rather than individual brilliancy. In order to associate the banner with the Colony, it was proposed that the troop should be called, The Governor's Troop for the period during which they held it. His Excellency expressed the hope that the troops would exert themselves to win the banner this year and he would be able to report to His Royal Highness that his gracious gift had resulted in a great increase in the efficiency of the boy scouts movement, in which they all knew His Royal Highness took a keen interest.
   The banner was then handed to the patrol leaders, who marched with it round the parade.

Scouts Craft.

   Giving a report of their work the Rev. Waldegrave said the Scouts had been spending much time in getting general troop efficiency, and for this purpose many of them had spent days in camp where true scoutscraft could be learned. At the same time the great aim of the movement, viz. to fit themselves for the service to others, had not been neglected. Many of the scouts were learning ambulance work, some of them had acquired proficiency in nursing, swimming and life saving practices, and others had taken up handicraft such as basket making, book binding and carpentry, while others were learning art including painting and music. The Hongkong movement might not be very large, but it was showing considerable vigour in its aims. Mr. Waldegrave expressed his thanks on behalf of the Association for the banner which he said would always remind the scouts of the ideals of the Association.
   The next presentation was a totem pole given by Miss Ashen, a cub mistress in London. His Excellency presented the totem pole to the Wolf Cubs.
   Scouts Li Hok-wai and Chan Hung-yun, of the sixth troop, Ellis Kadoorie, were presented with life saving medals for assisting a man, who was shot by an assassin on 15th May last.

   The Commissioner said that attracted by the report of shots fired the two boys ran down the street to investigate. They found a man lying in the road seriously wounded and some men running away. Failing to get assistance they improvised a stretcher and carried the wounded man to the Central Police Station to receive treatment. The man subsequently died. The boys went home and said nothing about the incident, which would have been a closed chapter but for the enquiries made by the police for the boys to call them as witnesses. It was a courageous act.
   His Excellency pinned the medals to the uniforms of the boys and shook hands with them.
   Cheers were given to His Royal Highness and the Governor, followed by the singing of the National Anthem.

bottom of page