top of page

The Hongkong Telegraph.


Monday, April 7, 1924.
香港英四月七號 禮拜壹

No 12,455
Page 6



   Two motor buses belonging to the Chun Hing Motor Bus Co. collided about three o'clock yesterday afternoon on the Castle Peak - Au Tau Road, and the casualties to passengers were the most serious in recent local traffic records.
   One bus was coming from Un Loong and the other from Kowloon. It would appear that the former was just leaving a bridge, near Castle Peak, when the Kowloon vehicle attempted to get on to the bridge, with the result that there was a terrible smash, and the body of one of the buses was splintered and collapsed like matchwood, whilst the other had its whole side torn away. Practically every passenger in the two vehicles received injury of some kind, including a party of Chinese Scoutmasters and Boy Scouts on their way to camp.

   Two of the passengers - a Chinese girl ten years of age and a Chinese Boy Scout of fourteen - died from fractured skulls on the way to the Kwong Wah Hospital. Those seriously hurt were:- A Chinese woman of about 35, who is not expected to live; a Chinese middle-aged woman; a young Chinese man; another Chinese of about 30; A young woman and a young man who were discharged from hospital after treatment; two Chinese boy scouts, aged 12 and 13, brothers of the one who has died, both in a serious condition and one of them not expected to live; and another scout, aged 14, with an injured thigh. The other passengers escaped with cuts and bruises.
   Scoutmasters K.C.Kong, C.Y.Yin and Lam Chun, as well as the less seriously hurt scouts set about rendering first aid and helping to have the casualty cases despatched to hospital. Three persons were sent to the Government Civil Hospital after treatment at the Kwong Wah Hospital. Two European motorcyclists who were on the scene at the time of the accident, as well as two Europeans who arrived soon afterwards in a motor-car (Messrs. F.Baker and H.W.Chaney), immediately rendered all aid possible, and Sergeant Stimson of Pingshan Police Station was soon on the scene and ably took charge.
   On enquiry at the Government Civil Hospital this afternoon, we were informed that the patients there were making satisfactory progress.

bottom of page